Category Archives: fieldwork

Data cleaning – finding the problems with turfmapper

All large data sets have problems. The community data gathered in the Between the Fjords projects are no exception – there are inevitable spelling mistakes, synonyms, misidentifications (for example of sterile Carex). Fortunately, having community data from several years, we can compare the community over time to identify and then fix these sorts of problems.

The first step to fixing the problems is to find them and data visualisation is key to this. I’ve written a small R package called turfmapper which takes community data and makes a figure like this.

Turf map from a Landpress site.

A cell is coloured if the species in present in that subturf in that year. The intensity of the colour indicated the cover of the species. Species that suddenly appear or disappear might need checking. In this turf, there are problems with Festuca and some other taxa that need fixing.

The vignette in the package shows how to make these figures for all turfs in a project using Rmarkdown.

Back in the field

It’s been a beautifully warm and sunny week in western Norway for doing fieldwork which, of course, we took advantage of! I had just enough time back in Bergen after the conference last week to do my laundry and re-pack for fieldwork.img_1377

img_1383

dsc_1288There’s still a bit of snow in the mountains

dsc_1285

Happy plant ecologists after completing our first site of the field season!

img_1372dsc_1292

Veronica officinalis in flower (left); a not uncommon site when counting seedlings under a dense vegetation canopy! (right)

Thus far we’ve completed the vegetation surveying for two of our twelve sites. The ‘bryofighters’, our trusty plant removal team, and the carbon flux analysers, are also doing their rounds.

seedclim_sites_w1-2